Re: gEDA-user: 20050329 install problem

On Sunday 03 April 2005 08:04, Stuart Brorson wrote:
>Hi --
>
>> On Saturday 02 April 2005 20:25, Stuart Brorson wrote:
>> >sys_lib_search_path_spec
>>
>> This was enough of a clue that I was able to see that it
>> was using the .la file in /usr/local/lib, which did indeed
>> point it at the defunct directory.  So I grabbed the one
>> out of /root/kde3.3/lib and over wrote it as that one
>> correctly points to the correct location in /root/kdce3.3/lib.
>>
>> Sidebar here:  Would it not make more sense to open
>> ldconfig.cache and see where it is?  In a properly maintained
>> system, it knows where everything is.
>
>The installer is dumb.  It just invokes the GNU build toolchain, and
>then sits back and watches.   Your problem had to do with the way
>libtool decided which directories to search.
>
>I have added an item "fix way libtool is invoked to use system's lib
>search path intead of its own" to the "ToDos" list on the CD.

Sounds good.  OTOH, it did make me clean up a mess I didn't know I
had, so there was nothing wrong with it at the end of the day.

>As for ldconfig.cache, my Fedora machine uses a file
>"/etc/ld.so.conf".  Does yours use ldconfig.cache?  Which one is
> Linux standard?

I was trying to be as generic as possible, this thouroughly nackered
FC2 box does use /etc/ld.so.cache.

> If neither is standard, then I can't necessarily
> use it for the install wizard without jumping through hoops.  I
> need to look at this; I believe the devil is in the details here. .
> . . .
Probably.  I have one debian (sorta) box with emc installed on it, and
ISTR it uses a slighly different name.  Its not powered up ATM or I'd
check and confirm/deny.

>For the next spin of the CD I plan to expand the number of apps
>available for installation.  Moreover, I plan to allow the user to
>select which apps he wants from a checklist at the beginning of the
>installation.  This necessitates that I substantially re-write the
>installer.  When I do that I can also fix the libtool problem.  To
> do so, however, requires that I spend some quality time figuring
> out how to best tell libtool what to do.

In that regard, I have no idea how many boxes there may be out there
that have a konstruct-built install of kde on them.  The problem is
that when useing konstruct (garchive based) to build & install kde,
it somewhat recommends your home dir, and since I do 99% of the stuff
on this machine as root, thats where it wound up.  Not your problem
really, because as I've since found, it leads to all sorts of
problems exactly as this was, and if I build kde-3.4, it will go back
into a more sane & findable location.  At one point, I had 4
*/lib/pkgconfig dirs scattered about, and nothing had any idea what
the other guy was doing.  Thats all been collated into a single dir
at $PKGCONFIG_PATH now.  My $LD_LIBRARY_PATH does properly contain
all this stuff, but the installer didn't check that.  I think it
should have, but that probably wouldn't have fixed this problem.

>> Silly (probably) Q:  Is there an html build something step by step
>> tutorial buried in this someplace that would give a rank beginner
>> at EDA a helping hand?  I can read chip docs, and wirewrap fairly
>> complex stuff which worked when I got done but that was 20 years
>> back down in the pile of old calendars too, so I need a helping
>> hand at 'larnin the lingo'.  Is there such a thing as a good
>> starter book available at Borders or such that covers enough of
>> this to be usefull?
>
>To my knowledge, there is none.  I am working on some stuff, but
> going is slow because I have other priorities right now.
:)

> Attention  professors:  the world needs a textbook about how to use
> EDA tools in a modern design flow!

The above I think, needs to be a headline in 96pt type.

> As for "The Art of Electronics", it is a
> wonderful book, but it's about circuits; it doesn't really talk
> about EDA-based design flows.

I got that impression while browsing its contents at borders.

> (At least versions 1 & 2, which I am
> familiar with.  Is there a version 3 or beyond yet?)

I believe what I was looking at was version 2.

Now, I've been fiddling with a couple of .sym files, copying them to
new names, editing pin labels and such, but when I'm done, and load
it up into gschem, the pins on the right side of the chip are in
reversed order, so that pin 13 is shown opposite pin 1.  Is there a
quick & dirty fix for that?

I see some other mistakes too, so it might behoove me to give that up
and use the spreadsheet tutorial and start from the itch.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)