Re: gEDA-user: from gschem to pcb

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:12:15 +0200
Manfred Eggersdorf <manfred.eggersdorf@xxxxxx> wrote:

> excuse, I do not understand...
> I use the PCB revision from the 28th Dec.2004.
> The Pinout-Menu seems to do not work for any "newlib"-footprint -
> neither via menu, nor via shortcut-use.
> Manfred
>

> > The pinout-menu is broken.  It might work only if your layout is
> > panned such that the x,y top left offset is near zero.

The original question was "If I open the "pinout-menu" there is nothing to
see....perhaps it works only for "real pins" not for SMD-Pads?" and I was
basically confirming there's in fact a bug and it doesn't work.

When I say it "might work ..." I was really just pointing out conditions
under which the bug begins to be noticeable because if your layout
is panned such that the (0,0) upper left coordinate of the layout
drawing area is visible, the pinout menu can "accidentally" work :)

The problem is that PCB maintains a clip box that is slightly larger
than the visible layout extents and it clips drawing.  The pinout menu
always translates the pinout drawing to (0,0) but uses the same
drawing code and clip box that is used for layout drawing.  So a
panned layout with clip box origin greater than (0,0) will clip the
pinout menu drawing.

As I ported to Gtk, I kludged in an open of the clip box just for drawing
the pinout menu, but the pin number text drawing still had translation
problems which needed more changes to the core PCB than I wanted
to do at that time.  As has been mentioned, you can get the
pinout for footprints on your layout with <key>d, so if I had not been
trying to preserve as much Xt PCB functionality as possible, my
inclination actually was to scrap the pinout menu window... I probably
should have at least #ifdef'ed it out since leaving known broken code
in a project seems wrong to me.

Bill