Re: gEDA-user: 20050329 install problem

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 00:13, Marvin Dickens wrote:
>On Tuesday 05 April 2005 22:24, Gene Heskett wrote:
[gawd, lemme snip some of this]

>> I'm working on it.  Call me a clueless advanced user if you'd
>> like.  :-)
>
>Thing is, I like to install from source. So, regardless if the
> distro uses apt, rpm or whatever, I'm still hoarked - RPM and apt
> only know about their packages and have no knowledge of things
> installed from source. Even Gentoo is clueless regarding source
> installations. As for the NFS thing, I agree that that would be
> nightmare mode.

That makes two of us Marvin.  I've also installed a lot of tarballs
here, often being forced to because the fix is not forthcoming from
teh fedora camp, for what is a major problem, such as much of kde
going away just for hovering the mouse over the name of a printing
related util in the kde menu!

That didn't go away with my building a new kde-3.3.0 either.  So on a
hunch, cups & gimp-print got nuked and a much newer cups, gimp, &
gutenprint got installed from tarball builds.  I've since
experimented some, enough to determine that cups was the culprit from
1.1.19 thru 1.1.21-rc1, but the final 1.1.21 (now 1.1.22 here) fixed
it right up.  That was nearly a year ago, and I don't think the rpms
for cups have been fixed yet.  I mean its a kde problem, why should
redhat, whose married to the gnome fix a kde problem?  Right?  Yeah
sure, don't hold your breath.

I've always built sane/xsane from tarballs as much of the beta testing
of its drivers for the Epson 1250u scanner was done on this machine.

So I now have quite list of stuff that drives apt-get plumb out of its
skull, and I'd wind up with a useless ghost of what this machine can
do if I was dumb enough to give apt-get the -f option.

But at the moment, everything I want to do is running just fine, so
why should I fix something thats not broken.  Yum at least, only
looks at the dependencies of what you ask it to install, faint praise
maybe, but apt is IMO way too fussy.

>Oh yeah,  Gene -  I know from other lists that you are definitely
> not clueless.

Thanks for the flowers Marvin, but I find as the years go by, that I
have to be given the first clue, or at least turned and pointed the
right way at least so I know which way to head off into the trees
looking for the next one.  That can be frustrating when one has made
his living for the last 55 & change years chaseing errant electrons
for a living.  A notice if you will, of the thinker slowing down,
much as I hate to admit it.

What other list?  My kmail list of lists is slightly more than 1
screen high, about 37 at last count. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)