Re: gEDA-user: 20050329 install problem

On Thursday 07 April 2005 08:22, Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> Marvin Dickens (marvindickens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > >
> > > Marvin,
> > >
> > > This may sounds ignorant, but I don't know what you are referring to
> > > here. I used SuSE many years ago myself, but have settled on
> > > Debian so maybe I have different experience they you do...
> > >
> > > How is market strategy related to bastardizing libraries ? I'm not
> > > saying it's not related, I just don't understand how it's related...
> >
> > There are lots of examples. The one that most people can relate to
> > is this what both RedHat and SuSE did with CDRecord.
>
> The CDRecord debate is indeed a pretty ugly one, I don't know what RedHat
> and SuSE did but as far as I can tell Debian decided to go with the version
> that Linus Torvalds "fixed" himself. This after the long debate about
> kernel APIs between Linus and Jörg Schilling.
>
> But that's all related to what happened in the Linux kernel API and with
> ide-scsi going to the 2.6 Linux kernel, I thought you were talking about
> libraries such as glib and gtk+ that gEDA depends upon. I have never heard
> of a distribution that would alter these libraries beyond bugfixes to the
> point where you were better off compiling your own versions.

Ok. With SuSE 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 there is no support whatsoever for GTK 1.x
or pkg-config. They do not provide rpm's and the only way to install it is to
do it from source. Also, for whatever reason, in verison 9.2 and 9.3 the
version of GUILE and readline both behave badly when compiling gEDA
and compilation always fails. In this case, I uninstall the version of GUILE
and readline that ship with SuSE and reinstall using source.

Regards

Marvin