Re: gEDA-user: Suse 9.2 Geda 20050329 Install Problems

> Stuart Brorson wrote:
>
> >Another user had the same problem:
> >
> >http://www.mail-archive.com/geda-dev@xxxxxxxx/msg03827.html
> >
> >It apparently has to do with guile.  Do you have both guile-1.4 and
> >guile-1.6 installed?   Your configure script thinks you have 1.6, but
> >sometimes libtool (used by gcc) has a different idea.  Therefore, if
> >you have any traces of guile-1.4 lurking anywhere (e.g. from an old
> >install), you should hunt them down and kill them.
> >

> Yes I think this may be part of the problem.  I did see guile-1.4
> floating around.  I indeed searched with find for all guile and removed
> them I thought, but I will re-check.  Any hints on where to hunt for
> these?  There were some living in my old geda install directory, I think.

/opt/bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin.  Look for anything named guile and
guile-*, such as guile-config and so on.

FWIW, if you remove all traces of guile, and then re-run the CD
installer, it will install guile for you.  Or if you want to do it
manually, look on the CD for the guile tarball.

> >Another possibility:  This reminds me of some problems I had with noweb
> >previously.
> >
> I think this may be part of the problem as well, as I have seen
> complaints about some of the install scripts not finding noweb, I am not
> even sure if it is installed.  What package is it part of?

If you don't have noweb, you're probably OK.  GEDA comes with a
built-in script which replaces noweb in the case that you don't have
it installed.  The script works.  Therefore, don't worry about this one.

> >Take a look at g_read_file.c in libgeda/src.  Look to see
> >if it has translated libgeda/noweb/g_read_file.nw correctly.  If not,
> >you may be experiencing a problem with your built-in noweb.
> >
> As for this last suggestion I think its above my skill level, but I will
> try.  I am not sure how I will tell if it has been translated correctly.

It will look like valid C.  If noweb makes a mistake, ISTR that it
just inserts invalid C into the .c file.

> Thanks very much for your help, and I will let you know as to my
> progress, I may just focus on manually building libgeda and go from
> there once I get through that.  At least you did not say anything about
> gtk so this is good so far.

Your problem is guile, not GTK.  Clean out all the old guile stuff;
look everywhere for it, sometimes it gets installed in several places.

Stuart