Re: gEDA-user: Isopropyl alcohol vs. ethanol

On Monday 24 April 2006 13:10, gfiber@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> While I'm not familiar with these new solders, I can address the
>> alcohol issue with some lengthy experience on the repair bench.  Use
>> the alcohol sold as paint thinner at the hardware store.  About $9 a
>> gallon, smaller cans of course are higher per ounce.  Its cheap, and
>> pulls solder rosins and such right off without seeming to effect the
>> solder masking and other silk screening on the board unless you soak
>> it for a long long time.
>
>Are you referring to Denatured alcohol?

It probably is.  AKA methanol.  I've burnt a 55 gallon drum of methanol
in go-karts in years past, and this doesn't smell exactly the same but
its close, probably because then, my nose was being contaminated by the
smell of the castor oil one must use as a lubricant when burning
'booze' in a 2 stroke engine.  The mileage is horrible because the
right mix is much richer than for gasolene.  But it can also make a
95mph kart into a 120mph kart, been there, done that, great fun.

The quart can I have in my hand, Parks brand #2115, says Pure Solvent
Alcohol, for shellac thinner and stove fuel, with big POISON signs on
it.

The methanol is stated to be contained in it and cannot be made
non-poisonous on the back of the can.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: