Re: gEDA-user: Isopropyl alcohol vs. ethanol

kmk wrote:
Marvin Dickens wrote:

sodium
is one the most common elements, if not the most common element here on earth (As well as other places in the universe). Its the reason
most flames burn with a yellow color

The yellow glow of candles and bonfires is soot. The soot particles get white hot while they oxidize in mid air. If you deliberately add sodioum cloride to the flame, it adds a thin layer of orange glow. Methan gas flames can be tuned from blue to yellow by controling the amount of air that mixes with the gas.

- Sodium is in everything.

ack.

---<(kaimartin)>---
As I recall, sodium burns yellow - even at levels of less than 1%. But, then again, 2-1/2 decades have passed
since I qual/quant chemistry. So, I looked it up:

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa110401a.htm

Apparently, things are as I remember them. Even so, a yellow flame must persist and not intensify with the
addition of more sodium. Therefore, we are both right - depending on the circumstances.

Best

Marvin