Re: gEDA-user: Re: Looking for a project

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 22:37 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> So, would an isolated probe need an isolated power supply also?  Those
> could get expensive.  Isolated power supply, opto-isolated digital
> gain control, opto-isolated return data stream, etc.

Yes, but they can be done very simply, or picked up as ready built and
encapsulated modules.

All it needs is a small ferrite transformer (with appropriate isolation
standard), driven by a high frequency square-wave. Rectify on the other
side, and linear regulate as needed for measurement stability.

I assume you mean the isolated power-supply which powers the probe's
active circuitry on the "isolated" side of the system.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,