Re: gEDA-user: TwoStageAmp example

On 4/2/07, al davis wrote:
The issue is redistribution.  If you redistribute something made
of parts that are licensed differently, you must comply with
both licenses.

Hello, I won't push --with-readline so quick into fedora. However is there some proper documentation to help me know which part of ngspice is under which license ?

This is what I meant in another thread when I said Debian
is "strict about being free" and Fedora "not so strict about
being free".  Debian will omit a package on a licensing issue
like this.  Fedora is more likely to overlook it.  It is not a
issue with NetBSD and Gentoo because they don't redistribute.
They just link to the official site.

That's true, fedora has a different approach. Fedora fights for opensource and doesn't like BSD codes that much. But if there is a good reason to add ngspice with bsd license into fedora, ngspice can be added. However "Free" doesn't limit to GNU Free but also to legal. I'll not debate on fedora's policy here, but simply, ngspice is part of gEDA project, I want to make sure geda users have their tools to work out of the box from fedora. Surely, I can't be perfect, that is why I'm open for suggestions to satisfy everyone.

Right now, my ngspice package at the fedora project is compiled with:

%configure              \
   --enable-xgraph     \
   --enable-xspice     \
%ifarch x86_64 sparc64 ppc64 amd64
 --enable-libsuffix=64 \
%endif

I hope that I'm not mixing licenses with it.

what I know up till now is:

--enable-numparam => This may be OK since it's new and probably tested.

--enable-cider => this requires having an external non-open source
library available on your system.  To avoid.

--enable-dot-global => I have no idea what this does.

--enable-xgraph => untested, probably pulls in lots of dependencies.
ngspice knows how to plot anyway, so you may not need this.

--with-x=yes => unneeded since ngspice knows how to plot using X anyway.

regards, Chitlesh -- http://clunixchit.blogspot.com