gEDA-user: Re: Efficient Memories

lingwitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've made a BMP image format creating module for fun.
>
> I maintain a 640x480 24-bits per pixel buffer and then write the data
> out to a file.
>
> At first I used a reg array, but came to find that each element of such
> a structure
> is expressed in vvp assembly as distinct reg. This made the vvp assembly
> 32 MB
> and unrunnable.

Aw shucks!

The reason I started doing that is because individual words are
first class objects and there have been bug reports of not
being able to continuous assign from memory words. Also, when
net arrays are added into the mix, *every* word of a net array
should be continuous assigned to.

Also, to make matters still more interesting, people have been
asking for a way to VCD dump memory words, and exploding arrays
is a step (most of the way) towards doing that.

Now independent of all the above, I'm surprised that 32Meg makes
a vvp file "unrunnable". I can believe "slow to load", but unless
you are very memory constrained, it shouldn't be that much slower
then in older snapshots before exploded arrays.

Try "vvp -v foo.vvp" to get a bit more detail what might be
going on.

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,