gEDA-user: Page contents browser

I'm playing with producing a "page tree" to operate with libgeda /
gschem, so the hierarchy or content of a page can be seen easily.

In addition to being "nice", it allows certain data-structures to be
visualised (ensuring they are correct), and is a nice test-case for
hooking libgeda to update a window as design modifications take place.

A preliminary screen shot is at:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/geda_page_contents.png
(The contents of the tree shown is a mock-up).

Double-clicking on items in the page tree should open them - and perhaps
there could be a right click menu too - with more options.

Clicking on a net-name should highlight all the connected pieces on the
page.

Some annotation needs to be added to components - so you can see if they
are embedded or not.

Questions:

What views / information could / should be presented in this browser?
(Are there any other types of object we need to see listed? - I know I
missed buses - should these come under "nets"?

Is this useful to real users - or just as a test of libgeda hooking?
(This will determine how much effort is put into polishing it)

Should sub-circuits expand hierarchically in the browser? (My instinct
is "no" for now.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,