Re: gEDA-user: gEDA vs commercial product

Peter Clifton wrote:
On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 23:59 +0200, Alessandro Baretta wrote:

[snip] But it has features I need and cannot do without: a full standards compliant library of IEC components, a notion of modular components (think of a relay, where the solenoid appears on one page and each of the contacts on a potentially different page).

I looked into this. I presume your meaning IEC 60617 standard symbols. I looked to see how much this standard would cost to purchase, so "we" could draw a set of compliant symbols.

Gentlemen,

Unluckily there is more to this than just the graphical entities themselves. A fully IEC compliant CAD does more than have a library adhering to the canonical graphical entities. The standars actually define line widths, symbol sizes, line spacing and whatnot. I am not an expert in this. Actually, I admit being completely ignorant about this. What I know is that SPAC by SDProget conforms to the standards, or at least it claims to do so. Because of this, it is currently easier to produce conforming documentation with SPAC than with gschem.

Actually, from my point of view this requirement is more important than the perfect imitation of IEC graphics, so long as the symbol is easily recognized.

Well, gentlemen, if there is any additional input I can provide to help the project, just drop me a line.

Alex

Ing. Alessandro Baretta

Studio Baretta
http://studio.baretta.com/

Consulenza Tecnologica e Ingegneria Industriale
Technological Consulting and Industrial Engineering

Headquarters
tel. +39 02 370 111 55
fax. +39 02 370 111 54

Lab