Re: gEDA-user: Re: Efficient Memories

On 7 Apr 2007, at 10:57:19 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:

*sigh* This is bad enough to be called a bug. If you have a small

example that triggers this "aspect", can you file it as a bug report?

You have my permisison to nudge its priority up to "6" because this

is actually quite embarrassing:-(

I've made a bug report. In the report, I take the opportunity to ask the following
question:

Why aren't operations on variables--including arrays, regs, and nets of any
size--extremely fast in Verilog when compared to those of other language
implementations?

Other language implementations--like Python, for instance--do not know the
types of values to which variables will be bound, so it is hard to
optimize.

However, Verilog deals only with one kind of datum: numbers (of a certain size).

It seems like Verilog simulations should be much faster than any
commensurate Python simulation, but this is just not the case--at least for
iverilog.

Thanks.