gEDA-user: Hierarchical (nested) buses

Hi,

A screen shot showing possible bus-nesting is at:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/hierarchical_bus_example.png
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/hierarchical_bus_example2.png

I've been calling this "hierarchical buses", but actually this is more
"nesting". The hierarchy bit will come when you can have "bus pins"
plumbing these buses straight into a sub-circuit or symbol.

The second example shows breaking into a bus by "path", such as
"address_bus/A0". I'm thinking more along the lines of hierarchical
naming, than "netname" naming here:

Putting signals "A", "B" and "C" in a bus called "foo", for example,
makes the hierarchical net-names:

"foo/A"
"foo/B"
"foo/C"

A bus-ripper attached to "foo" might have an attribute "ripout=A", to
get A.

Now imagine C is actually a bus representing a LVDS pair (say):

"C/plus"
"C/minus"

If you wanted, you "could" rip "C/minus" from the outer bus "foo",
directly, with a bus-ripper with "ripout=C/minus".

This would be an alternative to splitting out bus "C" with "ripout=C",
then splitting from that with "ripout=minus".

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,