Re: gEDA-user: Page contents browser

On 4/6/07, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 00:22 -0400, evan foss wrote:
> That is so cool. I can't wait to see it with say tabs.

Thanks.

I just posted another example - with an idea of how buses "might" be
represented. (This takes buses further than their current, graphical
existence)

Well you could have a sub group with the buses name containing all the buses nets.

> > What views / information could / should be presented in this browser? > > (Are there any other types of object we need to see listed? - I know I > > missed buses - should these come under "nets"? > > I might suggest that it also have the ability to search for a given > object or value in the tree.

Like a filter, or a search. This is possible.

> What would be really really cool but very hard would be to add a
> search with connection or relative location to another.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but if it is along the lines
of searching for a "resistor" connected to "this object", that could be
useful. I'm not sure how the user would specify the search though.

You know I don't remember what I meant now that I think about it. (it was 1AM when I wrote that. Sorry)

> I would also add further subcategories because I can see that getting > very cluttered. For a large digital design it would be nice to group > all the 0.1uF caps.

It gets difficult to solve all cases. Grouping by component, e.g.
collecting all components using "resistor-2.sym", or "capacitor-1.sym",
could be a start.

I'm not sure about automatically grouping things by "part number", or
"value". Grouping "could" be customisable by plug-in, but it would be
much more complex to implement.

You are probably correct.

> > Is this useful to real users - or just as a test of libgeda hooking?
> > (This will determine how much effort is put into polishing it)
>
> I would use it but I would like to be able to turn it off when dealing
> with subcircuit blocks. I never get that complex.

Turn off what- the grouping?

No, the whole window you added.

> > Should sub-circuits expand hierarchically in the browser? (My instinct > > is "no" for now. > > I agree that would lead to a real mess and defeat the purpose of > having subcircuits. They exist so you can just deal with larger > blocks.

The 3D-Cad package I occasionally use can expand sub-components. I'm not
sure how well it would work with schematics though - and its certainly
simpler to code without the expansion.

I suspect that like all other things in software you will write it, use it and realize that some minor things bug you enough to warrant changing them. Thinking a head is never a complete substitute for user feed back. What cad package do you use?

Thanks for the comments,

Thanks for listening.

--
http://www.coe.neu.edu/~efoss/