Re: gEDA-user: 74164.sym question

On 4/9/07, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 08:27 +0200, Werner Hoch wrote:

> > Also I would like to use a sym that has the physical layout
> > of the chip not the logical layout.
>
> I don't like that stile. The schematics are very hard to read with that
> symbols.

I don't like that style either, but is this a common style for "service
manual" type schematics - where the user is likely to be tracing a
connection on a chip?

When debugging my own PCB I find it quite convenient to have the components viewed as their physical packages. I even find it convenient to have the components in the schematic placed in about the same way as the components are placed on the PCB. And, quess what, I find it nice to have the schematic connections approximately follow the routing of the PCB. This calls for a new schematic generated _after_ the PCB has been made. I guess this work could be done automagically based on placement information from the PCB program. I don't think it is possible without more tight integration of schematic capture and PCB layout program.

--
Svenn