RE: gEDA-user: refdes_renum changes, anybody?

I'm for making it the standard. I usually cut and paste common symbols like Resistors and Caps and changing the refdes to a "X?" will be a lot more predictable then letting refdes renum choose.

Regards,
Kurt

Message: 4 Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:52:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Stuart Brorson <sdb@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: gEDA-user: refdes_renum changes, anybody? To: geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Message-ID: <Pine.BSF.4.64.0704150942250.17050@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

Hello geda-users --

I've made some modifications to the refdes utility "refdes_renum".
Specifically, I have created a flag called "--gentle", which tells
refdes_renum to number only new components in a design (i.e. those
with refdeses like C?).  The --gentle flag tells refdes_renum to leave
previously numbered components alone.  This new code is now in CVS.

By default, the old refdes_renum would just renumber *all* components,
which could be a PITA if you had grown accostomed to your design's
refdeses, or had already started a PCB layout with them.

By default, refdes_renum will clobber all your old refdeses.   Now the
question has been asked:    Shouldn't the --gentle option be the
default (it currently is not)?  Since making this change affects the
default behavior of an important utility, I thought I'd ask the
community for their opinions.

So, do you like refdes_renum's current behavior, or would you prefer
that it be --gentle by default?

Cheers,

Stuart

p.s. If you want to play with it, please check the new refdes_renum
out of CVS.  Doing "refdes_renum --gentle file1.sch file2.sch
file3.sch" will show the new behavior.  Make sure you do this only to
a design you have already backed up!!!!