Re: gEDA-user: Some problems

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 14:20 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Dan McMahill wrote:
>
> >--skip-m4 really really should have made this problem go away if you're
> >using the one from geda-20070216.
>
> Seems that you are right.
>
> I just tried this option again and it really solves the problem
> resulting from footprint name
>
> SOT23-95P-280L1-5N__LTC_S5_Package
>
> Maybe I have made a typo yesterday or forgot to delete all old files
> before launching gsch2pcb again.
>
> Sorry.
>
> But using gsch2pcb-option --use-files does not help.

--use-files doesn't stop M4 elements being used (it just causes gsch2pcb
to prefer newlib footprints over M4 ones).

(M4 is a macro processing language which is used to generate the oldlib
footprint code on the fly from a macro definition.)

> What can I do if my schematics contain (newlib) footprints from John
> Luciani containing many minus signs (-), but I still need some oldlib M4
> footprints. Do I have to rename all newlib footprints which contain
> multiple minus signs?

For now, renaming seems the easiest option to mix M4 and non-M4
generated footprints.

You might also convert the oldlib M4 footprints into individual files
(Dan will be able to say more about how this is done), then you can use
--skip-m4.

We should be able to fix this more comprehensively in a future release,
which may either:

a) Fix the original M4 problem with "-" names
and/or:
b) Ship all oldlib footprints pre-converted into separate files.

Regards,

Peter C.