Re: gEDA-user: gschem panning oddities

Hi Kai-Martin,

On Samstag, 5. April 2008, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:14:59 -0400, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> No little boxes on my schreen. I switched them off the in my gschemrc
> with (fast-mousepan "disabled"). Still, right-mouse-dragging yields
> about three times the redraw rate as dragging the scroll bar does.

I think the reason is, that moving the scrollbar calls the drawing
functions every time the scrollbar is slightly moved.

If you move your mouse (dragging), the callback function is
x_event_motion().
This function is checking the event queue for equal type motion events.
If the next event is equal to the current, the event is dropped. Thus
the redraw looks only snappier, we are cheating a little bit ;-).

> BTW, pcb is even more snappy with about the same amount of items to
> be shown (GTK- HID). I guess, the applications use totally different
> (re)draw techniques under the hood, do they?

I'm just curious. How have you counted the objects?

Regards
Werner

Related git commit
commit c77327c5c19358c8d8a0893c0b92f7e16c711fcb
Author: Werner Hoch <werner.ho@xxxxxx>
Date:   Fri Apr 14 11:49:27 2006 +0000
rubberband drawing, motion event dropping, move while drawing improved