Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] merging layers and pasting

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 16:46:51 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> In the case where we can't figure out what to do, I think a pop-up
> dialog would be appropriate (the HID has a way to do this already). It
> would list all the layers that can't be automatically correlated, with a
> multi-select box of potential layers to correlate them to.  We may be
> able to group these by component/inner/solder, so that an uncorrelated
> component group can be matched with existing component groups, etc.

I'd say, this is the way to go in the first place. This approach can get
very efficient, if the dialog allows to save the current relation as
default for future paste actions. Typically, subsequent mergers will be
between the same sets of layers.

Anything beyond this basic human controlled mechanism would be artificial
intelligence candy. Nice to have, but not really necessary. As with all
kinds of artificial intelligence any layer guessing I'd expect it to be
prone to ridiculous error.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak