gEDA-user: [pcb] merging layers and pasting

I'm thinking about my panel2pcb script, and pasting in general.  When
a layout is pasted to another layout, the layers are merged 1..N in
order, without regard for component/solder side or groups.  I'm
thinking this is bad, and thinking of how we can automatically
correlate layers on the way in.

First, if there's a single layer in the solder or component group, and
the current board also has a single layer there, we match those up.

For non-component-solder layers, we look for existing layers with the
same name.  If it's a one-layer-per-group case, we just match them up.

In cases where there's multiple layers in a group, it gets
interesting.  We may get lucky and be able to match up c/s layers by
process of elimination or by matching names, likewise with other
groups.

We can correlate outline layers of course.

In the case where we can't figure out what to do, I think a pop-up
dialog would be appropriate (the HID has a way to do this already).
It would list all the layers that can't be automatically correlated,
with a multi-select box of potential layers to correlate them to.  We
may be able to group these by component/inner/solder, so that an
uncorrelated component group can be matched with existing component
groups, etc.

We may also need the option to correlate multiple input layers to a
single layer - i.e. a generic "merge layers" option, which might be
useful as a standalone action too.

If all else fails, an option to create a new layer for an uncorrelated
input layer.

Comments?