Re: gEDA-user: n00b question: English - Metric connections

Eric Brombaugh wrote:

> Yes! Just one of the advantages of text-based file formats. Really makes
> you wonder why binary files are so popular.
Well, it helps with vendor lock-in, too.  And there can be speed issues.
  And if you do a bad enough job at designing the format, it can become
a disk space issue -- witness the EDIF format: Every Disk Is Full.

> Probably because it's easier
> to do an fwrite()/fread() on a huge data structure in memory than to
> write text input parsers.
Actually, being and old hand with lex/yacc (flex/bison), I find it is
easier, quicker, and far more robust to do a good text file format.
Flex/bison have a learning curve, but once you learn the idiom and a few
"power tricks" they are the bee's knees.

-dave