Re: gEDA-user: NGSPICE on KJWaves :plotting AC analysis with DCparameter sweep.

On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 11:40 +0200, michalwd1979 wrote:
> > Yaniv,
> > I have done something similar some time ago but in
> > different way. As I know it is not possible to do a AC
> > analysis for every DC step in ngspice.
>
> Al will be able to answer this definitively, but this may be
> something which gnucap can do. It is good at not restricting
> the kinds of analysis you do, and if your circuits work in
> ngspice, there is a good chance it can work in gnucap.

Gnucap has a sweep command that will do that.  It's a bit tricky
to plot the results with the plot programs we have.

> gnucap uses the same models as ngspice.

Not really, and it depends which version.  The stable 0.35
version is somewhat lacking in models.  If you include the
plugins, the development snapshot has significantly more models
than NGspice.  I have a few more that are not quite ready, that
I could make ready on short notice if there is demand.

There are a few models in NGspice but not gnucap because of
licensing.  Some of them that were not in gnucap for this
reason are available now as plugins, if the license allows.
There are some that I can't distribute, but if you get them
whatever way you can, they work.

> My main recollection
> was that getting models / subckts people have developed in
> PSpice to work in either gnucap or ngspice is the biggest
> pain.

It's getting better.  If you have a particular one that is
important that doesn't work, let me know and it might be easy
to make it work.  I know of a bunch of HSPICE models/subckts
that work in gnucap, but not NGspice.