Re: gEDA-user: Surface mounted circuits in hobby projects

Watch the pros work.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlSHsLo0cJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzI31gfCjJE&feature=related

Boy they make it look easy.  It really is with the right tips.

get yourself a good soldering iron.

I got my Metcal unit off of ebay and saved a bunch on a professional
piece of equipment.
Others are free to recommend their favorites, but i fell in love with
my Metcals when doing a lot of mixed work.
A new one runs $650 and to me it would be worth every penny.

OK industries bought the Metcal brand and make some lower priced units
with the smart heat tips (auto temp controlled, change the tips for
different temps), so that might be kinder to your wallet, but I still
like my pro unit.

I solder down to 0201 components, i use a macro scope, and for 0402
and larger I can do it naked eye, it's all about close focus.

GOOD tweezers, I mean GOOD.

and As DJ said, FLUX :-)

Steve