Re: gEDA-user: Surface mounted circuits in hobby projects

> I got my Metcal unit off of ebay and saved a bunch on a professional
> piece of equipment.

I also got a Metcal off eBay, and splurged for the talon too, which is
REALLY useful when dealing with 0603's.

But this was after a few decades of using a $20 Radio Shack iron, so I
felt like I deserved good tools for a change.

> I solder down to 0201 components, i use a macro scope, and for 0402
> and larger I can do it naked eye, it's all about close focus.

I've done 01005's by hand but I won't any more.  Had to use the
strongest magnifiers I had, and double check with a microscope.  0603
is my "sweet spot" but I'll use 0402 or 0201 if the layout calls for
it.

0.5mm pitch TQFPs are the norm for me, although 0.4 isn't that much
harder.

> GOOD tweezers, I mean GOOD.

Well, I have cheap ($1 I think) pointy tweezers I use.  And a few
sharpened toothpicks.