Re: gEDA-user: Surface mounted circuits in hobby projects

> I have just started my first hobby project with gEDA and
> noticed that some circuits I need is only available as
> surface mounted circuits.
>
> How do you handle this problem? Or is it a problem?

I prefer SMD to through-hole.  It's easier to fit the parts on the
board, and you don't have to keep flipping the board over to solder.
Do I need to do another run of SMT Challenge boards?
http://www.delorie.com/pcb/smd-challenge/

Don't let everyone else scare you out of it, SMD soldering is easy,
you just need an iron with a smaller tip, that's all.  Temperature
controlled iron is preferred.  There are a number of tutorials online,
but the basics are:

TWO-PINS: resistors and capacitors and the like.  Pre-solder one of
the two pads on the board.  Tweezers in one hand, iron in the other.
Pick up the piece, place on the board, melt solder, press part down
into it, let solder cool.  Now solder the other side while the first
holds the part in place.

SO/QFP: Flux pen the underside of the pins, and the pcb.  Pre-solder
one pad in a corner, attach part as above.  Solder opposite corner,
verify alignment.  Put a blob of solder on your iron and drag it
across the rows of pins (don't start with a pre-soldered one ;) and
off the end.  Fix any bridges with copper braid.

> Is there some kind of adapter to convert to PDIP etc.?

If there were, you'd still have to solder the part on anyway, so why
bother?  Adapters are only useful for pre-existing boards and
solderless breadboards.