Re: gEDA-user: Surface mounted circuits in hobby projects

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Ethan Swint <eswint.ramu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Steve Underwood wrote:
>> away the surplus solder in seconds. Creating a huge continuous blob of
>> solder around the four side is the strategy for removing a QFP.
>>
> The way I like to remove QFPs (assuming that they're dead) is with a bit
> of bare AWG30 behind the pins.  Run the wire between pins and package,
> anchor one end through a via, pull on the free end and the chip will
> 'unzip' as you move down the edge with a big iron.

I have been using the 20mil wide 30deg bent tip to desolder the QFPs.
I hook the tip around the back of the lead, let it heat a little
and pull. After three sides are done I press down on the center of the body
with my tweezers as I desolder the fourth side.

(* jcl *)

--

You can't create open hardware with closed EDA tools.

http://www.luciani.org