Re: gEDA-user: Surface mounted circuits in hobby projects

Ethan Swint wrote:
> Steve Underwood wrote:
>
>> away the surplus solder in seconds. Creating a huge continuous blob of
>> solder around the four side is the strategy for removing a QFP.
>>

> The way I like to remove QFPs (assuming that they're dead) is with a bit
> of bare AWG30 behind the pins.  Run the wire between pins and package,
> anchor one end through a via, pull on the free end and the chip will
> 'unzip' as you move down the edge with a big iron.

That way gives you a high risk of pulling pads off the board, and really
messes up the pins. You don't want to apply *any* avoidable mechanical
load on those pads. Heat the pins until they really come free. If you
want to reuse the chip (say for analysis - you'd only really *want* to
reuse it in desperate circumstances) you really want to keep its legs as
nesr intact as possible. The big solder blob approach is good for that.

Stev