Re: gEDA-user: the joy and sadness of new boards

On Wednesday 01 April 2009, Ethan Swint wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 31 March 2009, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>> Hey, they have a 4.5" diamond blade that will fit in my table saw,
>>
>> too.  They don't say how wide it is, though.I think those are meant for
>> sawing concrete or ceramic tiles, so they are a good fat 3/32" wide, and
>> the ones I have wobble that to an eighth inch at least.
>
>The diamond blade that I have is also about that thick, but it doesn't
>wobble - you might have a problem with your arbor.  A cheap tile saw
>(~$65 at a hardware store) wouldn't be a bad idea - the water keeps down
>the dust - just so long as you have sufficient intra-panel clearance for
>the saw's kerf.

I made the arbor, seating face against which the blade rests, and the 1/2"
shank were all done on a small lathe without touching the chuck jaws.  I've a
small dial indicator that has about .001" resolution, and it saw no wiggle,
none.  Ell Cheapo chinese blades, I only have about 5 bucks each in a pair of
them.  I intended to use them to sharpen carbide bits, but the diamonds were
so coarse they actually chipped the carbide.  I was looking for edge linear
speed since my spindle is only 2500 revs wide open.  So now I use that new
quick change dremel arbor in a 1/8" collet, with about a 1.75" diameter
diamond saw in it, that works fairly well, just slow when using a don't wake
the child kiss touch.

Sorta off topic:

I have a rotary table for the A axis too, and was going to see if I could
freshen the edges of some of my saw blades from the woodshop, but the first
10" Hitachi thin kerf blade I laid on the jig to drill holes in near the hub
so I could bolt it to the t-slots of the tables face educated me quickly.  4,
1/4" decent quality drill bits later, I have dimples about 3/32" diameter in
the blade.  Its going to take a carbide bit to drill that chrome plated
Hitachi steel!

If anybody has a better idea, yelp.

They have to be draw blood sharp if you are going to get clean cuts without
burning in cherry.  So far, only Hitachi and Avanti blades are that sharp
still in the blisterpack at Lowes.  Bring money of course, a 60 tooth 12"
blade for the chop saw is about $70. 10" 40 tooth for the table saw is about
$40.

>-Ethan

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Kaufman's Law:
	A policy is a restrictive document to prevent a recurrence
	of a single incident, in which that incident is never mentioned.