Re: gEDA-user: Surface mounted circuits in hobby projects

I just went through the same experience: needed to make a board with an
AT90CAN processor (TQFP64, 0.8 mm pitch, no need to solder a central
surface), and had never done any SMD soldering. I am still afraid when I
start mounting a new piece but, so far, did not have any problem (use an
about 2x table-mounted big lens, the finest solder tip and solder wire I
could easily get hold of + flux liquid applied with a syringe - yes, I
read about the big tip + solderwick approach, did not try it so far).

There is one consideration in complement to what has been said: I
evidently had to decide between a more or less all-SMD design, or to
restrict SMD to the TQFP part and maintain through-hole mounts for the
rest. I decided for the second solution simply for a question of
stock-keeping. I continue to have a need for a stock of wired components
for breadboarding, and did not want to start a second collection of
components for SMD boards - as has been said, the additional need for
board surface turns out not to be a serious argument (my board is rather
small, and the use of surface is, essentially, determined by the
connectors). But I realise, this is a consideration that is specific to
hobby projects with a limited number of pieces (in my case CAN bus nodes).