gEDA-user: Odd placement of SOT26 refdes?

Guys:

I just started using the SOT26 footprint, and noticed that the reference
designator i.e. "U1" is located directly on top of pin 4 instead of near
pin 1.

Obviously, I can move the reference designator to anywhere I want :),
but I'm just wondering if that's the way things are intended to be.  I'm
thinking probably not, since either (a) the reference designator text is
going to cover pad 4, or (b) pad 4 is going to obscure most of the
reference designator.  Neither seems like what someone would want...

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx