Re: gEDA-user: Why are visible attributes in a .sym not visible in my .sch?

On Apr 8, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Miles Gazic wrote:

> John wrote:
>> Huh? Not the way it works for me (currently using gEDA/gschem version
>> 1.4.3.20081231). Unpromoted visible attributes from the sym are
>> visible in the schematic, you just can't edit them. Are you sure
>> you've marked them visible?
> Yes, absolutely sure.  This happens on 1.4.1.20080929 on WinXP, as
> well as 1.4.0.20080127 on Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> Stefan wrote:
>> I have currently no idea how you manage to have attributes marked
>> visible in symbols, which are invisible in schematic. That was why
>> I ask
>> for an example.
> Sorry for not including an example earlier.  I tried to make a small
> example to demonstrate the problem.  3 files are attached:
> gafrc: needed at a minimum to have (component-library "."), so
> the .sym is found
> IL717-3E.sym: A pared down symbol to demonstrate the problem
> test.sch: a schematic that has two IL717-3E symbols in it.  One was
> inserted with attribute promotion on, and the
> "manufacturer_part_number" attribute was copied to the schematic file
> (bad, because I don't want duplication of information).  The other was
> inserted with attribute promotion off, and it has no attributes in the
> .sch (not even an empty {} section).  When I open it in gschem, I do
> not see the text "IL717-3E", but I would like to see that text.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Miles<gafrc><IL717-3E.sym><test.sch>

I verify that I see your behavior. It depends on the attribute name:
a visible device= attribute won't be promoted if not mentioned in the
always-promote-attributes string, but your manufacturer_part_number=
is promoted. Screwy. I've apparently avoided this by accident in the
past.

OK, gschem developers, who understands how this works? Why can't we
control promotion here?

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx