Re: gEDA-user: Why are visible attributes in a .sym not visible in my .sch?

>  When I open it in gschem, I do
> not see the text "IL717-3E", but I would like to see that text.

I do not really understand it...

If I have

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/yyy $ cat gafrc
(component-library ".")
(attribute-promotion "disabled")

gschem test.sch
I see the text of the left symbol of your test.sch.
gschem reads it from the symbol.

But if I have

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/yyy $ cat gafrc
(component-library ".")
;(attribute-promotion "disabled")

stefan@AMD64-X2 ~/yyy $ gschem test.sch

I see no text.

My guess for the later case: gschem assumes promoted and DELETED
attributes.

I have to admit that I do not understand for what

(attribute-promotion "disabled")

is useful. At least not how its works for me:
If I have this set, I see the attributes in red, but I can change none
of them. Can not change refdes. If I add an additional attribute, i.e.
refdes=R1 I get only a new one, but the red R? remains there.

Until today I have always used the defaults, which works not to bad. It
seems that the default behavior is to promote many attributes, even if
they are not changed inside of the schematics. Of course, if a special
symbol has a special footprint, which will never change, it will not be
useful to have a copy of the footprint name in the schematic. And if a
symbol has a visible, but fixed value, it is not useful to copy it to
the schematic. But it would be nice if we can overwrite it in the
schematic. I think I should read the documentation again -- two years
ago i really tried to understand attribute promotion and these attached
and unattached attributes, but I was not really successful.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski