Re: gEDA-user: Benefit of oval pads on component side?

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> Marcel Schmedes just posted this link
>
> http://www.luciani.org/images/drawdio_r0_top.jpg
>
> which reminds me to the question of the benefit of oval pads on the
> component side for through hole parts like DIP. I can see the benefit on
> the solder side, so my footprint generator has the option to make ovals
> on the solder side for DIP and SIP, but not on component side. Do I miss
> something (of course it's easy to add this feature).

For hand assembly, if components need to be soldered both sides (for home
made boards, if a component leg can be a via, it saves me from drilling
another hole elsewhere) it makes it easier to get more of the soldering
iron tip on the copper and run the solder in.