Re: gEDA-user: [ problem with the 40106 symbol ]

Ok, I understand my mistakes... Thanks very
much for helping, I will learn more about the
software as well as analog electronics in general
before posting more questions (actually that is
why I am using ngspice :) )

Cheers,

Fabien.

2010/3/31 John Doty <jpd@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Mar 30, 2010, at 5:39 PM, lementec fabien wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a very beginner using the geda toolchain,
>> please excuse if those are obvious errors.
>>
>> I am trying to use the 40106 hex inverter without
>> success in a project.
>
> OK, let's see:
>
> 1. That's a slotted symbol, intended for printed circuit layout, not simulation. You cannot use slotting in a schematic that will be used to make a SPICE netlist.
>
> 2. There's no SPICE model specified in the symbol. Generally for simulation of complex parts you must get the model from the manufacturer. But I doubt you'll be able to find a 40106 SPICE model, as SPICE is primarily an analog simulator, but the 40106 is a digital part.
>

>> You can find another project using the same component,
>> that has the same error, at:
>> wget http://www.bobdbob.com/~protius/quantel/headlogic.sch
>
> So many errors in that file. Missing values, unspecified refdeses, open circuits due to misplaced ground symbols, ...
>

>> I include the error outputs:
>>
>> texane@debian:~/repo/engineering_book/electronics/geda/spice/us.0$
>> gnetlist -g spice -o main.{net,sch}
>> Command line passed = gnetlist -g spice -o main.net main.sch
>> [/home/texane/repo/engineering_book/electronics/geda/spice/us.0/main.sch]
>> Invalid wanted_pin passed to get-nets [unknown]
>> Invalid wanted_pin passed to get-nets [unknown]
>
> Usually this means that there's a duplicate refdes/pinseq pair. Since every slot has the same pinseq on its pins, that'll happen if you attempt to use slotting.
>
>> ... // repeated multiple times
>>
>> with the drc2 backend:
>> texane@debian:~/repo/engineering_book/electronics/geda/spice/us.0$
>> more main.net
>> Checking non-numbered parts...
>>
>> Checking duplicated references...
>>
>> Checking nets with only one connection...
>> ERROR: Net 'VSS' is connected to only one pin: U1:7 .
>> ERROR: Net 'VDD' is connected to only one pin: U1:14 .
>
> You have no power source.
>

>> Checking pins without the 'pintype' attribute...
>>
>> Checking type of pins connected to a net...
>> ERROR: Pin(s) with pintype 'output': U1:12
>>        are connected by net 'unnamed_net6'
>>        to pin(s) with pintype 'power': V1:1
>> ERROR: Pin(s) with pintype 'output': U1:8 U1:10
>>        are connected by net 'n1'
>>        to pin(s) with pintype 'output': U1:8 U1:10
>> ERROR: Pin(s) with pintype 'output': U1:4 U1:6
>>        are connected by net 'unnamed_net2'
>>        to pin(s) with pintype 'output': U1:4 U1:6
>
> The model of the world drc2 implements is that you nothing but a single flavor of CMOS logic on a printed circuit board. For semi-analog circuits to be modeled by SPICE, it's not very useful.
>

>> Checking unconnected pins...
>>
>> Checking slots...
>>
>> Checking duplicated slots...
>>
>> Checking unused slots...
>>
>> No warnings found.
>> Found 5 errors.
>>

>> Thanks for helping,

> [...]

Madam, what good is a baby? -- Michael Faraday, when asked by Queen
Victoria what the electrical devices in his lab were good for