Re: gEDA-user: Are multiple pinlabels on a symbol pin OK?

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 14:31 -0700, Dave N6NZ wrote:
> Normally when I construct a symbol for a microcontroller or such part where the I/O pins can have multiple functions, I like to include the alternate functions in the pin label, like this example from an Atmel part:
>
> pinlabel=PE2 (XTAL2/ADC0/PCINT26)
>
> But... I've run into a part where the list of alternate functions on some pins makes the resulting symbol outrageously wide.  I'd like to display the GPIO name in the default font (10), and the alternate names in a smaller font (say 7 or 8).
>
> Can I have two pinlabels on a pin? Like so:
> P  <blah>
> {
> T X Y 9 10 <blah>
> pinlabel=PE2
> T X Y 9 7 <blah> <-- note smaller font size
> pinlabel=(XTAL2/ADC0/PCINT26)
> <blah>
> }
>
> Is that OK, or will gschem get confused down the road?

Ok, but probably "unwise" (IMO). I can't really feel justify why. You
could avoid any potential issue by calling the label something else..
pinlabel2= or just place text in the symbol.

Its a shame we don't have any inline markup we can use to change the
font-size mid label, since otherwise we'd be able to guarantee the text
lining up correctly. As it stands, you're having to guess where to start
the second set of label text based upon how particular font gschem picks
up renders on your machine. It will probably stay "about" right, but not
all fonts on all machines will be exactly the same.

Regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,