gEDA-user: How do you grab something reliably in pcb?

I have yet to figure out the secret to this step. When I'm working in an area that's pretty crowded and I want to move something like the label on a part, I can't seem to figure out where the "sweet" spot is. Much of the time I a) move the part, b) move a trace, c) start to draw a red box around something, or d) end up with a red x on a part and the only thing I can do is draw red boxes.

So can someone give me a hint or two?

Thanks,
Jim.