Re: gEDA-user: complete project sample?

On Apr 11, 2010, at 2:59 AM, Stephan Boettcher wrote:

> John Luciani <jluciani@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> I use it mostly for testing out new components.  I have added a
>>> micro-sd module for it, and most recently it's wired up to a new
>>> ethernet chip from micrel.
>>
>> Do you have uSD code working? I have tried a couple
>> of different cards and have had no luck getting them working on
>> the SPI port. I looked at the timing of the CS, MOSI and SCK.
>> All look good but I don't get a response on the MISO line.
>> I have looked at the spec and I believe I am sending the proper
>> command bytes. Any info would be appreciated.
>
> microSD are not required to support the SPI protocol.  Do they usually
> do?  What brands?

Interesting. I've tried a half-dozen different brands and haven't had any trouble with SPI support. Sandisk, Kingston, PQI, no-name from Deal Extreme, etc. If you're interested though, it seems that brand-name doesn't mean much. Even some of the big sellers are often re-branded from whatever's cheapest in China this week:

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=1022

Eric