Re: gEDA-user: Matching footprints with symbols

On Apr 14, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Amand Tihon wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm new to this list, and a very occasional gschem/pcb user. I make probably
> one or two small boards per year, single layer. Most of the time using
> through-hole components because that's what available at my local shop.
>
> My question may sound silly or may even have been asked countless times:

Yep. And the problem is that we downplay the truth: the library symbols are only starting points, not sensibly used as-is.

> Are there any official guidelines for naming/numbering pins and pads on
> symbols and footprints ? Some packages have an obvious numbering like DIP, but
> what about capacitors, diodes, transistors, etc. ?
>
> It could be due to my distribution (Debian), but I always get lost in the
> symbols and footprints libraries that come with gEDA. Finding the right
> footprint with correct pin numbering has always been a challenge.

Yep. The problem afflicts all EDA systems because there are no universal standards for the physical parts. One even encounters DIP packages with reversed numbers occasionally (Minicircuits).

> For instance, there are 3 different LED symbols. One in "Basic devices", two
> in "Diodes (generic)". Two of them have the anode on pin 1, the third one has
> it on pin 2.
> When trying to find a footprint for it, there are more than five for each of
> 3mm and 5mm LEDs. For *none* of them does the silkscreen indicate the position
> of the anode or cathode. LED3 and LED5 from pcblib/~geda actually present this
> information in their name/description: "(pin 1 is +, 2 is-)".
> In pcblib/~optical, however, the squared pin is named "-" (in red in preview,
> still not on the silkscreen).
>
> How do you usually handle this ?

Copy the symbol file into the project's symbol directory and edit it to match my project's parts and design flow. Might be nice for beginners if the GUI did the copy, although it's trivial from command line.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx