Re: gEDA-user: Matching footprints with symbols

On Apr 16, 2010, at 4:16 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Hence the Terminology chaper in the Getting Started guide, which
> defines what PCB means by footprint:
>
> ``A footprint is the pattern on a circuit board to which your parts
>   are attached. This includes all copper, silk, solder mask, and
>   paste information. In other EDA programs, this may be referred to
>   as a "land pattern". "Footprint" sometimes is used to refer to a
>   footprint file. "Footprint" refers to the pattern; "element" refers
>   to the instance. For example, your layout might have four elements
>   that use one footprint.''
>
> If you're talking about PCB, please stick with PCB's meanings of the
> terms.

I don't use pcb, although I design circuits that will be implemented on PCB's ;-)

I do use gschem, and it's much less clear from that point of view what "footprint" means, although in the footprint naming conventions document that we used to have it was clear that it referred to the part, not the board.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx