      From: DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      Subject: Re: gEDA-user: Matching footprints with symbols

    > Perhaps the shortcoming is in your expectations.
    I think that (1) our tools are mature enough that users should expect
    *some* sort of seamless integration and co-operation between them, and
    (2) we're mature enough to not have to insult our users when our
    software acts in an unexpected way.
    > The two projects are able to work together *because* they were
    > intentionally designed with clean interfaces,
    Irrelevent.  Having clean interfaces doesn't preclude using those
    interfaces in a seamless manner, giving the impression of integration.
    > One thing that sows confusion here is that "footprint" has different
    > meanings
    Hence the Terminology chaper in the Getting Started guide, which
    defines what PCB means by footprint:
    ``A footprint is the pattern on a circuit board to which your parts
       are attached. This includes all copper, silk, solder mask, and
       paste information. In other EDA programs, this may be referred to
       as a "land pattern". "Footprint" sometimes is used to refer to a
       footprint file. "Footprint" refers to the pattern; "element" refers
       to the instance. For example, your layout might have four elements
       that use one footprint.''
    If you're talking about PCB, please stick with PCB's meanings of the
    terms.
    > And some design flows don't have footprints (VLSI, simulation,
    > symbolic analysis, ...), although perhaps the hydraulic design
    > process recently discussed here has something analogous ;-)
    And some programs aren't EDA programs, but that doesn't help with his
    problem.
    > Ugh! Yuck! IDE = Inflexible, Dumbed-down Environment. Some prefer
    > that, but shouldn't there remain toolkits for those of us who need
    > flexibility and high productivity automation?
    Please stop trying to push your personal flow onto others :-)
    Despite you pushing your personal way of doing things (very vocally, I
    might add), a clear majority (not "some") of the geda users DO want a
    simple schematic -> pcb flow that's well integrated and easy to use.
    Your personal choice is *not it*.  Yes, we want to make your flow
    *possible*, but we really need to make the "dumbed-down" environment
    easy to use and streamlined, because that's what most people want.
    > The commercial package owners have a strong incentive to restrict
    > the flow to tools they control, and make it easy to get sucked into
    > their environments. They have little incentive to give you paths to
    > flexibility or higher productivity once you're caught.
    Flexibility and ease of use should not preclude each other.