Re: gEDA-user: Connecting to vias

George M. Gallant wrote:

> I am moving passive components from the top layer to
> the bottom where mMost of the bottom layer is ground.

Just to be sure: Do you do this with the b key?
Do you use the standard workflow "gschem/gsch2pcb/pcb"? Or do you do your
layout without a netlist directly in pcb.

> Connecting
> trace to vias that are attached to the ground with thermals gives
> errors.

Perhaps the polygon on bottom has not been connected to anything with a
defined net-property.
To connect a polygon to some known net, turn off the settings "Auto-enforce-
DRC-clearance" and "New-lines-and-arcs-clear-polygons". Then draw a track
from a pin with the known net to the polygon. Make sure, to reactivate both
settings after you have made the connection.

Lines, arcs and polygons don't have a net-property of their own in pcb. The
DRC algorithm checks for connection with pins to determine their net. The
net property of a track unconnected to anything is "unknown". If you connect
this track to some copper whose net is known to be GND, this triggers the
DRC rule to not connect anything with different nets.

IMHO, there is room for improvement here: DRC should not care for
connections between two free floating parts of copper. It should not
complain either, if a track with unknown net is to be connected to some
copper with known net.

> Using the Join function removes the error.

IIRC, "join" is a flag that allows tracks to connect to polygons, rather
than plow through them with a clearance. Consequently, I don't see how this
would help to connect a track to a via.

> I would also like to have a better understanding of the move
> to other side function. The part does no just change sides but
> rather relocates somewhere.

If you are talking about the action triggered by the b key:
This not only moves the footprint to the other side of the board. It also
flips it about the position of the mouse. This mirroring action is necessary
because you turn the board to solder components to the other side. Consider
an opamp moved to the other side but not flipped: You would solder input
pins to the output...
If you don't like the move component of the flip, make sure, the cross is
exactly in the middle of the footprint. That's why many footprints for
passive components have their handle, placed there. If you have the setting
"Crosshair snaps to pins and pads" activated, it will snap to this little
diamond shape.

Hope, this helps,

---<)kaimartin(>---
--