Re: gEDA-user: A little puzzled about the purpose of gschem

On Thursday 22 April 2010, Link wrote:
> However, if you want a quick, graphical SPICE, I suggest
>  using LTSpice through Darwine. In my personal experience,
>  LTSpice's simulator is a lot better than ngspice/gnucap, and
>  it is definitely an easier workflow than
>  gschem->gattrib->gnetlist->ngspice if you're only interested
>  in simulation.

One reason commercial software (including zero-dollar commercial
software like LTspice and the light version of Eagle) may be
better in some ways is that some people choose to bash rather
than to enter a dialog that could be helpful.

If you look at free/open-source software as a product to be
consumed, like you consume commercial products, you will
probably be disappointed.

If you are looking for a handout, sorry, it doesn't work that
way.

On the other hand, if you appreciate the openness, and want
something more organic, free/open-source software opens up
possibilities that commercial software doesn't come near.

If you want to learn by getting involved with a project,
free/open-source software offers big opportunities to learn and
connect that you can't get anywhere else.  These opportunities
are offered to EVERYONE, not just "A students".

I find it somewhat ironic that "penguindevelopment.org" doesn't
seem to understand the concept.