Re: gEDA-user: Patch to PCB build system needs testing/feedback

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 20:16 -0700, Jared Casper wrote:

> > I just discovered that the latest automake (1.11) has a nifty feature
> > to create "silent" build rules to produce a Linux kernel style build
> > that just displays "CC  file.c" etc. instead of the whole command line
> > (must have missed the memo last year).   The attached patch enables
> > this mode in PCB and edits most of the custom build rules to use the
> > new silent type of output.  Right now it turns silent build on by
> > default.   The old style can be obtained using "make V=1" or with the
> > --disable-silent-rules configure option.  To make it not on by
> > default, remove the [yes] in the call to AM_SILENT_RULES in
> > configure.ac.

I tried such a patch for gEDA (it is in my repo actually). I'm of mixed
feeling about it though.. it makes the normal compile output nicer, but
it doesn't honour the "-s" option passed to make.. so I loose my usual
easy way of checking for errors without getting lost in output (make -s)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,