Re: gEDA-user: gEDA programming

Miguel,

I don't want to hurt you, how ever, the order of your first sentence
reads very wrong to me: learn a lot of C programming, good coding style
(there are dedicted styleguides for this, just google), then contribute
to a pretty complex program.

An introductory book on ANSI-C is good to have and if you are serious
on contributing, I assume you are firm with algorithms and datastructures.
- To make a meaningful contribution you have to understand the structures.
"pcb" e.g. has 91kLOC in the recent snapshot - that would take me
2-4 weeks to read and analyze, so I don't try to hack anything now,
unless I could clearly limit the scope and/or get advice from someone
who knows the codebase. I'm partly living from programming and use C
since about 1991.

Regards, Armin

Miguel Sánchez de León Peque wrote:
   Hi all,
   I'm a student interested in contributing to gEDA and learn some C ;-).
   The biggest problem I find any time I start coding is "how should I
   write this?". You're always talking about deprecated code, libraries
   you're/you're not using, old style...
   Could you tell me any book/reference you'd find necessary to learn
   modern C programming? Or to learn how to use extended libraries as GTK
   and glibc? Or any other library widely used in C programming... Maybe
   there's no book for that, it's just programming experience... am I
   right? (I hope not! xD)
   Thanks in advance,
   A student who is a bit confused about which is good modern C
   programming style... :-)