gEDA-user: gEDA programming

   Hi all,
   I'm a student interested in contributing to gEDA and learn some C ;-).
   The biggest problem I find any time I start coding is "how should I
   write this?". You're always talking about deprecated code, libraries
   you're/you're not using, old style...
   Could you tell me any book/reference you'd find necessary to learn
   modern C programming? Or to learn how to use extended libraries as GTK
   and glibc? Or any other library widely used in C programming... Maybe
   there's no book for that, it's just programming experience... am I
   right? (I hope not! xD)
   Thanks in advance,
   A student who is a bit confused about which is good modern C
   programming style... :-)