Re: gEDA-user: passing parameters to a subckt

al davis wrote:

> A model site should be "models" not just "spice models" to leave
> it open for all kinds of models.

A models site is the second step. First and foremost, there should be a
decent stock of models included in the default install of gnucap.

> The problem is not a lack of models, but rather > and the lack of a
beginner-
> friendly way to determine which if any of those you find are
> suitable for your application.
>
> This is the idea of Werner's model site.  Unfortunately, it is
> not organized in a beginner friendly way.  It's a start and
> needs to be developed.

a lack of a
> beginner-friendly way to find them,

There should not be a need to search for specific models for getting started
with basic circuits in the first place. The models don't have to be exact.
But they need to be available right away. This is one of the critical areas,
where ltspice makes a difference -- a difference between a happy new user
and a frustrated one-timer who will never come back. In addition, the
frustrated user is likely to discourage his peers.

> gnucap.org is a wiki.  If someone wants to take on the task of
> making the model finding process easier, that would be most
> welcome.  There is space available.

Simple: Include the models in the default distribution. Add a descriptive
text file to each of them that explicitly says what to expect from the
model.

As for the site: IMHO, the gedasymbols concept is a success -- It is a
central site. Yet, every contributor is exclusively responsible for his or
her own slice. I see no compelling reason to not use gedasymbols.org for
simulation models, too. If you are annoyed by the name, an alias
"gedafiles.org" may be a solution.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak