Re: gEDA-user: A little puzzled about the purpose of gschem

On Thursday 29 April 2010, Russell Shaw wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>>   Very rare?!  I see 741s everywhere.  WTF?
>>>
>>>              -Dave
>>
>> Sorry to bust the bubble, but he's right.  The 741 is well over 40 years
>> old, and its open loop first response pole, where the 6db per octave
>> rolloff begins, is a measly 10 hertz.
>
>The opamp is 1MHz unity BW. The higher the gain, the lower the first pole.
>An even better opamp would roll off at 1Hz.
>
>> Today there are $1.00 opamps with a working
>> gain of 20 when feedback is applied, with output slew rates of several
>> thousand volts per second.  Thats working bandwidth to several hundred
>> megahertz at the sort of levels found in either a modern broadcast audio
>> mixer, or a production video switcher, and either of those are driving 60
>> ohms for audio, or 75 for video.
>
>Those are video buffers. They have much less closed-loop gain and inferior
>offset voltages. They're also noisy and are very prone to oscillation with
>any stray capacitance or with certain feedback resistors.

I believe that to be an artifact of the GB product not being high enough in
what was available, say back in LM-357 days.  When I replaced some custom
made discreet op-amps in that grass switcher with some fairly modern
internally compensated ones with a GB of about 10Ghz, it was absolutely not a
problem.  They were the ideal block of gain & dead stable despite a layout
when being used to sub for something else, that would give a modern video
engineer recurring nightmares.  Flying leads up to an inch long just to reach
the original plates mounting and connecting holes in the PCB.  That had
"kludge" written all over it, but it technically kicked ass compared to the
much slower discreet versions grass wanted $1700/copy for.

>> Slew rate limits alone in the 741 means you can't honestly ask it for
>> more than a volt of output at full audio bandwidth.
>
>dV/dt = 2.pi.Vm
>
>at 20kHz and 1V/us, Vm=8Vpk
>
>quite ok for most apps below 5Vpk.
>
>> At 3 volts the slew rate
>> distortion is so bad even these 75 year old ears can hear it.  Even a
>> TLO-72 or 74 can mop the floor with a 741, and output a +- 15 volt rail
>> to rail signal doing it, but into the old 600 ohm std load.
>
>LM741 has 1mV OS typical. TL072 is 3mV

Can you hear 3mv dc?

>LM741 would be better than TL072 for control apps, and cheaper.

Maybe so, but with 4 of then in a dip, and room for 22 cards in the cage, I
used them in multi-tube quantities (5 per card, 22 cards) for utility audio
DA's at WDTV-5 for nearly 20 years.  Most failures were on longer output run
circuits, and lightening related.  When you have a 255 foot tower 30 feet out
the back door, the emp pulse from a lightning strike is considerable, and
tends to knock out the output stages.  So I designed one with some to5
outputs to buffer the chip output, and they had an even shorter life plus
they crowbared the whole cage supply when they failed, much more catastrophic
in effect as that didn't just cost us one audio src, it took us off the air.
The old favorite burn your fingers power hog op-amp, 5532 would fail at 20x
that rate under the same conditions.

In broadcast, you learn to use what gets the job done with audio performance
that is adequate, and is the _most_ dependable.  Getting rid of that last
.001% of distortion is not a priority that even makes the list.  However,
25volts p-p at 20 khz with no slew rate or cross-over discernible on a 100mhz
scope, or at lower frequencies my ears could hear well was "good enough for
the girls I went with".

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)