Re: gEDA-user: Two Power Supplies in gschem

Daniel B. wrote:

> I'm kinda new to gschem (in fact, first time learning a electronics
> cad software) and a little confused about the power pins issue. I
> read the geda-faq:gschem and found that it's a good practice to NOT
> hide the power pins.

ack.

> Is this related to the design of the symbol? Are there some (generic)
> attribute common to all symbols that makes the power pin visible?

No. There are no hidden pins of the symbol. The power net is directly
associated with a pin of the footprint -- There are no graphical
objects involved.

> I'm trying to draw a circuit that uses 2 different power supplies,
> 12V and 5V. Are there any other good way to design this type of circuit?

Split the power symbols off into a separate symbol. That way, you can
have both: Have a clean schematic, not obscured with power nets and
have all power pins visible on the sheet. And of course you can
connect all power pins to a different voltage. As an additional
benefit, you can position the capacitors at the power pins.

See my opamp symbols for an example:
http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/symbols/analog/opamp.sym
http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/symbols/analog/opamp_pwr.sym

BTW, the symbols in the default library are quite sub standard.
If you haven't yet, you may download the contents of the repository
gedasymbols wholesale. The symbols of John Luciani are a great
resource, too.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak