gEDA-user: Modding Nintendo 3DS controllers for accessability

Hi,

Does anyone here have any experience with Nintendo 3DS game controllers?

A friend of mine from University who only has the use of his right hand
asked me this, but I've got almost zero experience with gaming devices.

"
i recently got a nintendo 3ds, and really enjoying the 3d of the games
but my issue is because i can only use my right hand, using the
controller is difficult. i'm not sure whether it can be done but can you
think of an idea where i can convert or modify or attach something to
the 3DS to make the analogue + 3 buttons operable with my singlee right
hand?
"

My thoughts were:

1. Can the 3DS take an external controller (I've not found anything so
far).

2.
Looking here:

http://kotaku.com/#!5731483/check-out-the-inside-of-a-3ds/gallery/24

It seems that it might be possible to wire external buttons up to that,
but I can't quite imagine how best to contrive replacements to work with
a right-hand only.

I imagine you might be able to control with right thumb on the X,Y,A,B
buttons, analogue scroll on the index finger behind and underneath the
DS. I'm wondering if a right middle finger would be able to control a 4x
array of buttons underneath the right hand side of the device?

The "analogue" (rotary knob) interface looks like it has four wires (see
picture here:)

http://kotaku.com/#!5731483/check-out-the-inside-of-a-3ds/gallery/6

That suggests to me that it might actually be a digital encoder of some
kind. Does anyone know if it has any other kind of action - is it
press-able, or a multi-axis in some way?

Any pointers would be appreciated so I can pass them on.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,